Lift Up Atlanta mission is to provide homeless women and children in the metro Atlanta area with safe housing, food, clothing and other services designed to help them meet their basic needs, to support their education, and to empower them to reach self sufficiency.
Founded in September 2011 by Rosalind Garner, Lift Up Atlanta is designed to meet the basic needs of the homeless, including food, clothing, hygiene needs, educational services etc. It seeks to fill the gaps in the current provision of services to homeless women and children and to empower them to become self-sufficient again.
Lift Up Atlanta will provide several services to local homeless shelters, other nonprofit organizations and to the homeless directly. The programs will include:
- Basic Care Program – Lift Up Atlanta will provide basic necessities for residents of local shelters and the homeless directly such as hygiene items (toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant etc). This will be provided in easy to carry bags. The agency will also provide clothing for every day wear and dress for success wear for job interviews. We will provide blessing bags filled with packaged snacks and water to carry during the day.
- Cold Lunch Program – Volunteers will prepare sack lunches filled with sandwiches, fruit and snacks to be handed out to the homeless weekly/monthly (depending on resources).
- Backpack Program – Every summer, Lift Up Atlanta will provide backpacks filled with school supplies for children in local homeless shelters and disadvantaged youth.
- Life Skills/ Empowerment Program – Volunteers will be recruited to provide life skills classes that provide information about credit, budgeting, resumes, interviews, education etc. This program is designed to give the customers skills to get jobs and basic life skills.
- Food Drives – Lift Up Atlanta will continuously build a food pantry to provide food to the local homeless shelters and food banks. This will help to provide food baskets at Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Annual Christmas toy drive – Lift Up Atlanta with the help of volunteers will provide new toys to children of local homeless shelters.
Meet Our Program Directors
Job Readiness Program Director – Rob Gatling
Robert Gatling has over 20 years of professional work experience in the IT and project management industry fields. Within those years, Robert has experienced the ups and downs of the job market and the recession and has been able to remain employed in various public and private sector positions. This gathered insight enables him to help others in need of the necessary job readiness skills to compete in an ever competitive job market. “To obtain gainful employment you must be able to brand and sell yourself to potential employers and I hope others can benefit from these job readiness workshops that myself and the other talented volunteers conduct.”
Computer Training Program Director – Tawanna Kelley
Tawanna is originally from Baltimore and settled in Atlanta in February of 2011 and began working with Lift Up Atlanta very shortly after her arrival because of her need to give back to her community. She has worked in the corporate training world for more than 17 years with a variety of companies and industries. She’s trained a wide variety of computer software to a very diverse group of learners throughout her career and wanted to use her computer knowledge to help others.